Ashokarishtam (Withania somnifera) is an Ayurvedic medicine used widely to treat several gynecological diseases and menstrual problems. It contains about 5% to 10% of self-generated alcohol which is its active compound. Ashokarishta benefits in ovarian diseases and uterine disorders mainly.
Ashokarishtam Price In India
|Kottakkal Ashokarishtam (450ml)||Rs.80|
Medicinal Properties of Ashokarishtam
- Mild estrogenic
- Relieves flatulence
- Digestive stimulant
- Haematinic (increases hemoglobin levels)
- Muscle relaxant
- Adaptogenic (adapt to stress and restore normal physiological functioning)
Benefits of Ashokarishtam
It focuses on the female reproductive system. Ashokarishta benefits in ovarian diseases and uterine disorders. It balances the hormones levels in the body and has many other benefits like:
1. Pelvic inflammatory diseases
Ashokarishta helps manage pelvic inflammatory diseases. The herbs present in it produces a strong anti-inflammatory effect, which helps prevent damage to the uterus, ovaries, and other reproductive organs.
2. Aids in Menorrhagia, Metrorrhagia & Menometrorrhagia
- Menorrhagia refers to abnormally heavy or prolonged periods or menstruation.
- Metrorrhagia refers to prolonged and excessive uterine bleeding not triggered by menstruation. It generally is an indicator of other uterine diseases.
- Menometrorrhagia is a combination of menorrhagia and metrorrhagia. In this case, heavy bleeding occurs regardless of menstruation.
3. Helps in painful periods
When combined with other herbs, it improves uterine functions and modulates contractions giving strength to the uterus. It also reduces premenstrual headache, lower back pain, and nausea. Therefore, ashokarishta benefits during painful periods.
4. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
Ashokarishtam’s use, in this case, is very different so it must be used with care.
Ashokarishtam benefits during menopause. It helps prevent bone mineral loss which starts during menopause.
Other Uses of Ashokarishta
- Helps to reduce pain in the genital tract
- Aids with leucorrhoea
- Aids in fever and piles
5 – 20 ml twice a day with equal amount of water after meals.
Medical advice in strongly suggested as the dose and combination of Ashokarishtam Syrup varies for different medical concerns.
Side Effects and Contradictions of Ashokarishtam
- May cause acidity and heartburn
- Helps in heavy menstrual bleeding but not scanty bleeding
- May delay period
- May reduce menstrual blood flow
- Does not treat blocked fallopian tubes
- Not suggested for diabetics
- Should not be taken during pregnancy
4 Important Questions About Ashokarishta Answered
1. Can Ashokarishta reduce the symptoms of PCOD?
Ashokarishta alone is not effective in reducing the symptoms of PCOS/PCOD. Supporting remedies like Chandraprabha Vati, Sukumaram Kashayam are used along with Ashokarishta to reduce the effect. Ashokarishta if taken along with Chandraprabha Vati helps normalize the hormone levels and treat PCOS symptoms. Always consult a doctor before incorporating it to your diet.
2. Does any natural remedy for menstrual cramping actually work?
Yes, many natural remedies for menstrual cramping actually work wonders if done right. While you can use Ashokarishtam along with some supporting remedies, always consult an Ayurvedic Specialist to know about its effects and the use.
3. Is There A Remedy For Endometriosis In Ayurveda?
Yes, there are many remedies for Endometriosis in Ayurveda. Ashokarishtam is one of those effective natural remedies that can be consumed along with other remedies if taken in the right combination.
4. What are the best Ayurvedic medicines to maintain a regular period cycle?
Some of the best Ayurvedic medicines that maintain a regular period cycle are:
- Asafoetida (make the period smooth)
- Henna (For painful menstruation and reducing the heavy flow)
- Castor Oil (Effective for those who experience congestive pain during their menstrual cycle)
- Ashwagandha (to reduce the heavy flow during menstruation)
- Liquorice (to reduce the heavy flow during menstruation)
- Ashokarista along with supporting remedies like Sukumara Ghritham (to improve fertility)